Sunday, September 16, 2007

Tiger Moth Flight



We arrived at Barton Aerodrome in good time to get our bearings and have a quick cuppa before receiving a briefing at the control tower. The plane was a 1932 Tiger Moth and is apparently the oldest Tiger Moth still flying. The pilot we were told is an Easy Jet pilot during the week but loves this type of flying so much this is how he chooses to spend his weekend.

I was taken to the plane by the attendants and Dale was allowed out onto the airfield to take some photos.

I climbed into the plane and after a few last minute instructions we were ready for take off.

The take off was very quick and gentle and before long I was enjoying the view below.

Once out of the immediate vicinity of the aerodrome the pilot gave me further instructions as to what to do and then allowed me take the controls. I got the hang of level flying, was allowed to do a couple of turns and got the plane in the right direction to go back to the aerodrome. Once near the aerodrome the pilot took over the controls again and brought the plane into land. The landing again was very smooth and not in the least scary.

Once back inside the control tower I was shown a DVD that had been taken of me flying the plane – though at a price of £45 I decided not to buy one.

All in all a superb experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment